Oma's favourite Dutch Almond-Filled Cookie Cake

I have this recipe as a photocopy of a newspaper cut-out. The blurb explains that this recipe, adapted by a certain Elizabeth Meijer  from a 100-year old Dutch pastry cookbook, was a grand prize winner at the 30th Annual Pilsbury Bakeoff.

All I know is that it's my father's mother's favorite cake.

Crust

2 2/3 cups flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg

Filling

1 cup grated or finely chopped almonds
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 whole almonds, or maraschino cherries, halved

Directions

(Honestly, I've eaten this cake but I've never made it myself. Here are the directions as printed in the article. They're a little confusing. When I make this myself, I'll see if there's a more... logical way of explaining it. )

Heat oven to 325ºF. Grease 9 or 10 inch springform pan. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In a large bowl, blend all crust ingredients at low speed until dough forms. Divide in half, and chill if desired. Spread one half in the bottom of prepared pan.

In a small bowl, blend all filling ingredients except whole almonds or cherries. Spread over crust to within one half-inch of sides of pan.

Between waxed paper, press remaining dough to 9 or 10 inch circle. Remove one layer of waxed paper and place dough over filling. Remove other layer of waxed paper, press dough into place. Garnish with almond or cherry halves.

Bake at 325ºF for 45-55 minutes or until light golden brown. (Place foil on rack below pan during baking to guard against spillage.) Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely.


Comments