Coconut macaroons

Makes ~30 cookies
I'd never made these before. I got around to it this holiday season when my mom used up a whole bunch of egg yokes making tiramisu.  So I made these guys and some meringues, and everyone I gave them to raved about them, so I'm gonna go ahead and say I didn't fail. Yay!

Ingredients

4 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon honey
2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
(for a fun twist, add the zest of two lemons)

Directions

  1. In a large skillet mix together the egg whites, sugar, salt, honey, coconut and flour.
  2. Heat over low-med heat, stirring constantly, scraping the bottom as you stir.
  3. When the mixture just begins to scorch the bottom, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Transfer  to a bowl and cool to room temperature.* (Mine never scorched, due to my parents new shmancy stove probably. I just stirred it lots and waited, then gave up and hoped it was cooked enough. It seems to have worked well.)
  4. When ready to bake, line baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350ºF.
  5. Form dough into 1 1/2 inch mounds (I recommend using two spoons to form and drop the balls - I tried using my hands but it was just a big unproductive mess!). Space evenly and bake for 18-20 minutes, until deep golden brown. Cool completely.
For added fun and chocolatey-ness, you can melt some chocolate in a double broiler and dip the bottoms of the cookies - then let them set on a parchment or plastic wrap lined baking sheet in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.

Comments